Thursday, September 10, 2009

New camera, old style.

Behold, the small yet mighty Olympus EP-1.


















Money well spent. I like the fact that it's small, and I like that Olympus made a conscious decision to style it like one of the old Pens from the 1960's. However, I did not like the all-silver looks of it, and so I ordered a leatherette covering from http://aki-asahi.com./ (English link) Now I really like how it looks.

I am also really liking two of the bells and whistles that Olympus included: the art filters. Basically, they are settings that do in-camera what otherwise would be done in Photoshop or some other editing program.

The first art filter I like is called grainy film, and it really does look like film that's been pushed a few stops. I like it, but I don't like the fact that you lose a lot of the details in the blacks and the highlights. So I guess at this point, I'm torn.

The other art filter I like is called pinhole. I think it makes things look sort of Holgaesque, but that's a good thing, right? You can change the aspect ratio to make the photos square, and make the images even more Holga-like.

I do not like that the camera takes a few seconds to process images while the art filters are turned on. Those two or three seconds where the camera is working feels like forever, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. In any case, I like this camera a lot.


















No comments:

www.stevenfordphoto.com